Green wood working
On Friday I watched the first in a new BBC series on "ancient crafts" presented by Monty Don. This week the focus was the art of "bodging" which to you and me translates as "green wood working". It was fascinating to see just what is possible without electricity or modern tools, finishes or fixings. The point was raised in the programme that most people have very little concept of the life cycle of wood from "tree to product". But it also made me realise that while this ancient craft must be preserved, it is the advancement in processing and manufacturing technology that now allows designers and architects to turn to one of the oldest but renewable materials and work it in a very modern and exciting context. So hooray for the old and new, as long as it's wood!
Latest from the Blog
- 9/07/2014 - Stairs - Fashion or function?
- 9/06/2014 - Know Your Maples
- 6/06/2014 - “FIVE” – a first for AHEC
- 6/06/2014 - “what I have always wanted is…..” The Wish List
- 15/04/2014 - Recycled hardwood for Wallpaper*